The Clock Tower
Located on Waterford’s Quay is the rather lonely looking clock tower, one of Waterford City’s main symbols.
The Clock Tower dates from the mid 19th century and has a public water fountain also incorporated into the side. A door on the northern side of the clock tower allows access to the clocks interior and workings although this is not open to visitors.
The Waterford Clock Tower was built in 1863 when Waterford was Ireland’s busiest industrial port. It had the largest ship building yards in the country (before being surpassed by Belfast) and traded to 400 international ports all over the World. During this period there was a number of large scale public works projects built including this Clock Tower which is one of the best known landmarks in the City. It was was originally known as the Fountain Clock (as it had troughs for working horses to drink from) and the mechanisms for the clock and fountain are still of technical and engineering interest.
When looking for hotels near The Clock Tower Waterford. Look no further than The Fitzwilton Hotel Waterford.